4.28.2016

Tales of Apartment Hunting

It's official: I'm on the hunt for an apartment, and so far, luck does not seem to be on my side. One security deposit and application later, I'm still on said apartment hunt. Yes, I'm getting my deposit back. Turns out, double booking a single unit doesn't work out so well.

Bummer.

I didn't realize this at first, but I was really excited about this place for a lot of reasons:
  • For the first time ever, it would have been my space and only my space. I've only ever lived with roommates. For the most part, it's been great, but I'm ready for my own place. Fortunately, I've got Lex (my dog) to keep from going bored out of my mind. 
  • I would get first hand experience practicing parts of what I'm learning. Ever since I first saw the place over the weekend, my mind has been on overdrive, dreaming up ways to make the space work best for me. I guess that's how I know I'm in the right program. I am in my Interior Design bubble 24/7 at school, and I'm still giddy to get it going IRL.
  • Location. Location. Location.  - OK, so technically, I live in a more desirable neighborhood now, but I'm never home. And when I am home, I don't go out. This place put me a whopping ten minutes from school, walking. 
  • Did I mention it was my own space?!?
The one thing the apartment lacked was storage and size (OK - I guess that's two). It was a one bedroom, but it was on the smaller side. With all the crap, er things I hold near and dear to my heart, that I collect, it would have been tight. So, as any budding interior designer in her residential studio would do, I went to town brainstorming ways to make it suit my needs. 

Priority #1 Storage.
 

Storage space is typically needed across the board, and my situation is no different! Here are some ideas I was planning on adopting a la Pinterest (Follow me: @LGillaspey)!
Ever since I stumbled upon the first season of HGTV's Good Bones on OnDemand, it's been my go-to "What should I watch next" show. In one of the first few episodes, the mother, daughter duo take an antique ladder, turn it sideways, and VOILA - you have a bookcase. I loved it! The next morning, I saw this easy peasy jem - the ladder, blanket storage combo, and took it as a sign. It must be meant to be. (Psssst. I guess its a DIY knock off of the Pottery Barn Blanket Ladder). 

Growing on that note (hahahaha - get it?), when it comes to small spaces, one needs to embrace the art of vertical storage. Let's be pragmatic, these smaller apartments don't have the SQfootage for large, bulky items. Hang things. And then hang things below that. Make shelves! The world is your oyster!  Keep in mind that, if you screwing into the walls at all, you need to check with your landlord to make sure that's A-OK.

Here are a few shelfy options that I'm loving:

IMG_7340-689x1024
via Distractify

IKEA Hack Sultan Lade DIY Regal (9)
via ICHDesigner
*For the record, I am in love with this. I want it in my house, and I want it right now! Where? I'm not entirely sure. 

Via Apartment Therapy
DIY Wooden Magazine Holder 1 (1 of 1)
Via Passion Shake
OK, so this one is technically not vertical shelving. It's still storage. Still acts as shelves, so I'm going with it!


And so, as apartment hunting continues, I would like share my obersvations. How do you plan to tack an issue of storage when first looking at/ moving into an 1BR (or in to a space with inadequate storage)? 

Thank, L




No comments:

Post a Comment