9.01.2015

Life is Ironic


Well, well, well - here I am, one quarter of grad school down, nine to go. This first quarter has been… crazy. Crazy good. Crazy crazy. Crazy weird. But not crazy bad. 

Two quick prefaces before I go on: 1) I just finished reading the first fictional piece of writing ("How to be an Adult" by XYZ) I've looked at in over 10 weeks, so I apologize now if this post has a flair for the dramatic side. 2)  I'm writing this post on a plane home, and I'm a broke graduate student - so I won't be purchasing wifi and I won't be referencing any delightful interiors and/or pieces. 

I was nervous when I first moved to Philadelphia to study at Drexel. What was I doing? Was it worth giving so many things up? In some ways, I still am nervous, but I'm more confident about it being right than I ever thought that I would be. I'm still not 100% sure what I want to do with it once I'm done, but I figure I have three more years to figure that out.

Today, before heading to the airport, I stopped in a cafe on the corner for lunch. The first thing I noticed: its decor. Interiors are always what I've noticed first, and I know that I'm not alone. Humans are visual people. So much can be perceived in a glance, communicated with a look and expressed through a style, and without that, much would be lost. 

I originally went into Public Relations because I wanted to help connect a brand to the consumer, to add to their overall experience. And interior design does that. Interior design IS that. It makes sense. It all makes sense. And I'm sure, at some point, I'll laugh about having spent the last five years (eight years if you count undergrad) trying to figure out what was missing from the cut-and-dry path of PR I was following . 

Before the end of grad school, I'll have to write a thesis. The thing I swore up and down as a child, having watched my mother be a slave to her own, that I would NEVER EVER do. (Yes - Life. Is. Ironic.) Though right now it feels years away, I have a running list of general ideas. I'm not 100% sure (or even 50%) what exactly I am supposed to do with my thesis, but I feel like having some ideas is better than none. 

Or at least, that's what I'm telling myself. 

I'm thinking about what interests me (and what doesn't), what I think good design is (and what it isn't), and what can make it better. Its not the entire thing, but its a start. And, as I was talking about with my neighbor in 19C, grad school is entirely what you put into it. I want to come out of it with the world as my oyster. 

To quote the ever-popular phrase on Pinterest, "when something scares you, it means it is worth it"

What scares you?

____


- LG

No comments:

Post a Comment