11.12.2014

Floor Plan Sketches for Fun

Ladies and gents, this is where I come clean: other than blogging my way to fame and fortune (Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge), I'm not entirely sure how I am going to go about transitioning into a career in interior design. I've thought of numerous ideas ranging from grad school to a second bachelors to a simple certificate in architectural drafting (as a starting point), but that's where I get stuck.

While figuring this all out, I enrolled in an online Introduction to Interior Design course offered by Ed2Go and Morraine Valley Community College. Twice a week, new lectures are posted to the classroom's homepage along with supplemental material, an easy quiz and an assignment. It's not a rocket science course, and I don't get much (if any) from it after completion, but it's a start. Originally, I signed up for the course to see if interior design was actually something I found intriguing. Turns out, it is! 

Here it is, well past my bedtime, and I've been in my own little world, drawing a scaled version (1' = 1/4") of the large, wasted space of a kitchen in my rental. No seriously - it's fantastic that it's so big (roughly 12' x 12'), but with so much open space in the middle, I've always felt like something was missing. 

See for yourself:

Follow me on Instagram
The assignment goes on to have me update the space as I see fit, including fixtures and finishes. I'm really liking the red kitchen by Jane Ellison that I shared in a post last week and am using it as inspiration for my space's "makeover." I'm thinking a kitchen cart to fill the void, a red accent wall with open shelving along the North wall and updated appliances (er... well, really, updated everything) to start.

* I'm loving the POP of color this kitchen cart brings to the room!
* A clean, modern take on the kitchen cart!

__________________________

Tell me, what do you think of using kitchen carts to fill wide-open spaces?

- LG

P.S. Don't mind the erase marks on my floor plan - I'm still learning! 

No comments:

Post a Comment